Monday 14 July 2014

Cauliflower or Rice

   Cauliflower or Rice? 

 I decide to cook a Favourite of ours tonight! White Risotto & Rib Fillet

 Thinking about a vegetable to accompany the meal & thinking a little bit Paleo or low carb, I thought of substituting the Rice with Cauliflower. Now this wouldn't do for Steve, so my mission was to cook both & compare. 



What do you Prefer? Cauliflower or Rice
Ingredients for our recipe, I forgot to show peas here.

Step 2. Dice onion, garlic & rosemary.
 Ingredients for White Risotto
1.5 cups med grain rice
1 cup frozen peas
1 onion
5 cloves garlic
Rosemary, Salt, Pepper, Butter

Instructions:
Step 1. Add about 6 cups of water to saucepan & bring to the boil. I add 1 teaspoon of salt. Add in the Rice,  boiling for about 15 mins until tender.
Step 2. Dice onion, garlic & rosemary.
Step 3. Heat fry pan, add butter then add onion, garlic & rosemary, cooking until soft & slightly brown. Add peas to boiling rice.
Step 3. Frying the onion, garlic, rosemary.
Boiling rice & cauliflower.

 Step 4. Strain rice & return it to the pan. Then mix in the fried onions & Parmesan Cheese.
Step 4. Rice & Peas
 The Cauliflower Version is a little quicker.
Step 1. Boil water in a saucepan, 1/2 a teaspoon of salt, then add chopped stem of cauliflower, peas, then florets of cauliflower, boiling for a few minutes until tender.
Step 2. Strain the cauliflower mix, return to pot, gently stir in the cooked onion mix (step 3 of the rice recipe) & Parmesan Cheese.
Mixing in the cooked onion mix

Cauliflower & Peas
 Rib Fillet marinated in Garlic & Rosemary.
Heat a little butter in hot fry pan & then add in the steak. I sliced it thin, so brown each side & it's just about done. 'Minute Steak'

 TIP: Always read the labels.
I wondered why my food had been a little tastier & inky looking, so I checked the black jar in the photo & it turned out to be salt. It looked like Black Pepper to me! Black Cyprus Salt.

White Risotto & Rib Fillet.


Cauliflower Version



What's your preference? Cauliflower or Rice..........


I'd love to hear from you & let me know if you try the recipes. Taste as you mix & add more garlic or salt if needed. Romano Cheese will increase the flavour as well. 

Bon Appetit & Vi auguriamo una Buono Salute!













No comments:

Post a Comment